Kickboxing Fitness for Physical Education
Everything a Secondary PE Teacher needs to know about teaching Kickboxing
This course was designed primarily for secondary physical education teachers, specifically grades 6-12. Our instructor is here to help you throughout the course with any questions you may have.
The purpose of this course is to provide the information and skills necessary for a physical education professional to safely and effectively implement, modify/adapt (when necessary) and teach various kickboxing fitness workout formats in physical education classes.
By reading and studying the Kickboxing Fitness for Physical Education Manual (included with this course) the student will learn the following objectives:
- Learn to explain, demonstrate, and instruct the safe and proper execution of the Stances, Techniques and Movement Patterns utilized in Kickboxing.
- Identification of primary joint movements involved in each technique.
- Discussion of safety concerns associated with each movement / technique.
- Technique execution modifications necessary to prevent injury.
- Instruction of the concept of beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels of participation, as related to both skill and conditioning of individual participants.
- Identification of the important concepts and factors that influence kickboxing fitness class design, related to Class Structure, Class Formats, and Balanced Workouts
- How to evaluate, plan the use of, and use kickboxing training equipment.
- Descriptions of the basic equipment characteristics that influence the safe and proper use in an exercise class environment.
- To provide the physical education professional with the skills and knowledge required to safely and effectively implement kickboxing fitness exercises, activities or programs into the physical education curriculum.
Standard 1 - The physically literate individual demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
Standard 2 - The physically literate individual applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
Standard 3 - The physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
Need to get your Professional Development Credits approved by your administration? Download the course description here.
Tim Rochford (MS in Exercise Science, BS in Sport Management) has been in the fitness industry since 1984 and currently holds numerous certifications including ACE Medical Fitness Specialist, ACE and NASM CPT, The Cooper Institute MPFS, IYCA Level 1 and AAHF JrFit & Senior Fitness. He was formerly CPT certified through NSCA and AFAA. Tim has presented his Martial Fitness Kickboxing and Empower Self Defense Instructor Training programs for regional Shape America (formerly AAHPERD) events over the years. He has taught these programs at numerous Chicago suburban schools – directly leading workouts for students, as well as training PE professionals to become instructors in both kickboxing fitness and self defense programs.
Tim has been a continuing education provider in the fitness industry since 1997, presenting kickboxing fitness and self defense workshops nationally and internationally. Tim has been training in martial arts since 1978 and currently holds a 7th degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo/Kajukenpo Karate. He competed as an amateur kickboxer in the 1980’s & 90’s. He is the founder of Empower Training Systems (a self defense & kickboxing fitness instructor training company), has authored numerous instructor training programs and manuals. Tim is the co‐author of the ACE Kickboxing Fitness Specialty Training manual. He authored the only self defense instructor training course (workshop and home study) that is currently accredited for CEC/CEU in the fitness industry. He also has designed and patented the P2 Force, a unique body weight and elastic resistance training machine.