Becoming a Better Leader in Your School
How You Can Impact Student Learning and School Improvement Policy
This course has been designed for K-12 teachers in all content areas committed to meeting the need for teacher leaders in every school while improving student learning and shaping school policy.
Those making decisions within the school environment should be guided by accomplished teachers who know about teaching and learning; rather than by those with little to no classroom experience. This course will empower teachers with the tools to play a key role in making decisions; guiding experts in their field to implement action that benefits students, colleagues and the school. The end result will be teachers reaching the ultimate goal - helping students learn.
- To recognize the profound impact teachers have within the school environment.
- To relate the leadership pathways presented in the Teacher Leadership Initiative model.
- To develop leadership competencies to address the needs of students, colleagues and the school.
- To identify personal leadership strengths and areas needing growth.
- To value schools using teacher leaders.
- To create an action plan for playing a key role in making decisions within the school environment.
The evidence is clear, there is a need for teachers to be enlisted with formal opportunities to be a part of decision making within the school environment.
This course will present the Teacher Leadership Initiative launched in 2014 to prepare teachers for meeting the identified need. Analysis of specific teacher leadership competencies for instructional and policy leadership will be the focus towards reaching the ultimate goal-helping students learn.
This course addresses the following overarching competencies.
Source:The Teacher Leadership Competencies (2104).
- Reflective Practice
- Personal Effectiveness
- Interpersonal Effectiveness
- Continuing Learning and Education
- Group Processes
- Adult Learning
- Technological Facility
Need to get your Professional Development Credits approved by administration? Download the course description to provide them here.
- Middle School PE Teacher – Dunnellon Middle School – Dunnellon, FL….1996 – 1998
- PE Teacher/Exploratory Teacher – Woodrow Wilson Middle School – Sioux City, IA…1998
- PE Teacher/Exploratory Teacher – West Middle School – Sioux City, IA….1998 – 2005
- Assistant Principal – North Middle – Sioux City, IA….2005 – 2010
- Assistant Principal – North High School – Sioux City, IA…..2010 – 2014
- I have been married to my wife Connie for 22 years. We have three children, Alliaha-23, Preston-21, and Kiara-19
- I am originally from North Central Florida (Dunnellon, FL)…I currently live in Le Mars, IA
- I enjoy spending time with my family, watching football, and being outdoors (when it is warm)
- B.A. Physical Education - Westmar University, 1996 - Le Mars ,IA
- M.A. Educational Administration – University of South Dakota, 2004 – Vermillion, SD
- Ed. S Educational Administration – University of South Dakota, 2015 – Vermillion, SD
- Superintendent Endorsement
- Head Principal – North Middle School – Sioux City, IA….2014-Current
StartAssignment 1: Introduction
StartAssignment 2: Research Supporting Teacher Leaders
StartAssignment 3: Teacher Leadership Initiative Model
StartAssignment 4: Teacher Leadership Initiative Model
StartAssignment 5: Teacher Leadership Initiative Model
StartAssignment 6: Teacher Leadership Initiative Model
StartAssignment 7: Pathway Action Plan