Non -Locomotor Skills Standards-Based Unit with Lesson Plans ($49)
Aligning a Standards Based Unit of Study: Content Standards, Assessment, Goals, Objectives and Instructional Strategies
We are excited about your interest in taking our Non-Locomotor Skills Standards-Based Unit course from PE Central. Below you will find a brief course description, the instructor's biography, and course FAQ's. We estimate that this course will take 2 hours to complete. Once you have completed it, you may request the 3 hours towards your teacher licensure recertification.
We know you will find this course valuable and enjoyable. If you have any questions please email us at [email protected]
Best of Luck!
Mark Manross, Executive Director, PE Central
The purpose of this course is to introduce physical educators to aligning key sections of a unit of study (a) content standards, (b) assessments, (c) goals, (d) objectives, and (e) instructional strategies.
This course will be based on an online discussion style format between the instructor and participants. A partial Non-locomotor Unit with lesson plans will be provided. Participants will use the discussion forum to share ideas with classmates that will revise and complete the partial unit of study. To ensure the goals are met, the following template is provided:
Physical Education Unit with Lesson Plans Template
Participants will be provided with a Non-locomotor Skills Unit with Lesson Plans using the following template to ensure the dual course goals written for this course are met (alignment and collaboration):
• Content Standards:
• Learning Goals:
• Learning Objectives:
• Instructional Strategies (script form):
• Differentiated Instruction (remains blank to allow teachers to match instruction based on student readiness and individual needs of present learners-gifted, impairments, disabilities, etc.)
Each component of the template will be completed using the National Physical Education Standards that define what a student should know and be able to do as a result of a unit of study (standards-based education): http://www.shapeamerica.org/standards/pe/.
- To align key sections of a physical education unit of study, with lesson plans.
- To collaborate with “experts” in the physical education profession; those teaching in the physical education classroom.
On the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Create instructional strategies that are used to reinforce skills taught and meet the objectives written for the Non-locomotor Unit with Lesson Plans
- Find or develop a sample assessment that demonstrates what students do know and can do as a result of learned content.
- Promote critical thinking skills through collaboration with peers.
- Cite credible resources used for the physical education unit of study.
Need to get your Professional Development Credits approved by administration? Download the course description to provide them here.
Renae holds a Master of Science in Education Degree from Wayne State College and a Bachelor's Degree in Health and Physical Education from Westmar University.
She has taught in a public school for 31 years and online for 16 years, specializing in Education, Physical Education, Health, and Psychology. Renae has authored and published a children's fitness program; and, is a Managing Editor for PE Central (an online resource for Health and Physical Educators).
"This was a great way to obtain meaningful professional development on a schedule that worked for me. I definitely will take more courses during the school year. Thank you"