This course is for any (K-6) Physical Educator, Health Teacher or Classroom Educator who wants to teach students in-depth about the benefits of drinking water, conserving water and how it effects their health.
*Physical Activity and water consumption go hand in hand. Many PE Teachers have days where they do not have they gym available, and this is a great substitute for those days or even for students who do not wear proper dress code or are sick and can not participate in the day's activity. In addition, many PE Teachers are also Health Teachers and have requested subject information that will help them in this area.
Course Description & Purpose:
We need water to survive. It is the sixth major nutrient next to carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals. Developing knowledge about what water is, where it comes from, how we get it, different kinds of water, how it is filtered and how to conserve it - is important at a young age. This course will go into an in-depth look at water and provide you with the information, lesson plans, worksheets, and activity ideas to teach your students the information. You will have a full unit to take back to your classroom, as well as a starting point for teaching the information.
• Be able to explain what water is, where it comes from, and why it is important
• Understand the role of water in the human body
• Describe the relationship between water and health
• Identify foods that can supply water for the body
• Describe how physical activity affects the need for water
• Identify some challenges to healthy drinking water
• Explain the importance of sustaining healthy water quality in households, in communities and around the globe
• Develop workable plans for consuming and conserving water to support lifelong health
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, SHAPE UP US AND CREATOR OF THE HIP HOP HEALTHY HEART PROGRAM FOR CHILDREN™ AND CLAP4HEALTH℠
In 2011, Jyl was awarded a Community Leadership Award from the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition “For exemplary service and dedication to improving the lives of others by promoting and fostering opportunities for participation in fitness, sports or nutrition programs.” Steinback, who has worked in the health and wellness industry for more than 25 years as a personal trainer and educator, has sold more than 2 million books that educate consumers to change their lifestyle by making positive choices through proper nutrition, exercise, and healthy living. She has been a spokesperson teaching health and wellness throughout the country.